The world is undergoing tremendous changes. With the introduction of futuristic elements, automated equipment, and software-aided systems, the operation and control of many major establishments have become easier than before.
The introduction of additional systems has necessitated the formulation of security protocols and stipulation of authority. Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) in Utility Asset Management is a result of such a scenario.
RBAC will be detailing the functionality and authority of individuals according to their position in the entity. This will regulate the operational control of the systems. Only those with authorized administrative and regulatory power will be able to undertake the changes, switching on or off the system, incorporate modifications, update software, and so on.
RBAC is a crucial aspect for maintaining the safety and security of the system, as well as, ensuring that necessary activities are carried out in stipulated periodicity. With the responsibility assigned to the individuals, they will be more responsible for carrying out the laid down tasks.
The important factors of Role-Based Access Control are:
Authority of the Individual
The person will have authority depending on the position and authority he or she holds in the organization. The higher the position the more the authority would be. He or she will have additional authority to access the files and data that are not allowed to workers from lower ranks.
Responsibilities of the Position
The position will outline certain responsibilities to the individual. S/he may be responsible for authorizing newly recruited individuals, removing some from the access control, or adding additional roles to a particular person. RBAC will be according to all these aspects.
At times, additional approvals may be necessary for permitting individuals outside the firm, for repair or maintenance works. The entry of an intruder can turn detrimental to the organization. An individual should be permitted after a thorough background check only. These administrative activities and approval authority for entry of additional individuals will be held with a distinctive person in the organization, who will be at a higher position.
The capability of an Individual
Highly competitive individuals in the entity will be permitted to work on updating of software, other upgrades, or other similar roles. The capability of the individual also plays an important role in assigning RBAC.
Top 5 Benefits of Role-Based Remote Access
The Role Based Remote Access will be instrumental in enhancing the performance and productivity of the organization. The growing popularity of RBAC is indicative of the increasing acceptability of the system. Installing the subject technology will eliminate the need for manual monitoring, control, and physical presence of the individuals.
The top 5 benefits of Role-Based Remote Access are:
- Maintainability – As the cloud-based control system helps in remote maintenance of substations or similar assets, the maintainability is amplified optimally. The preventive, predictable, and corrective maintenance process could be carried out without the need to travel to the location. Moreover, the person responsible for the same can do even while on a move.
The indication concerning the malfunctions, errors, or defects in system components will appear as a pop-up notification to the maintenance team. They can simply institute corrective measures to the subject component without putting too much time.
- Safety – The professional maintainers will be working/ controlling the system from a remote location. This helps in ensuring the safety of the technicians. Even if they need to work at the location, they can opt to switch off/ isolate sections depending on the requirement.
- Security – Since only authorized individuals from the firm can work on the system, it will be more secure than others are. The authorization of the individual could be decided based on the individual’s position, competence, technical knowledge, and similar aspects, as we have discussed in the preceding paragraphs.
- Simplifies the System – Once you have RBAC in place, you don’t have to monitor each system, including its maintenance necessities, manually. The computer-controlled, cloud-based, system has systematically formulated algorithms to ensure proper monitoring and provision of necessary indications.
- Enhanced Productivity – All the above-mentioned benefits lead to the main benefit of enhanced productivity. Individuals know their duties and responsibilities. However, none of them has to process too much paperwork or undertake frequent inspections, as everything is handled by the advanced system in place. Thereby, enhancing the overall productivity of the organization.
Role-Based Access Control in Utility Asset Management is becoming an unavoidable part of organizations. Most of the entities across the globe are in the process of installing the said systems on their premises. RBAC is pivotal in reducing labor costs, augmenting productivity, boosting the performance of the organization, and reaping optimum profits.
Consider switching over to Remote Access Control systems at the earliest. And garner the advantages offered by the advanced cloud-based technology. Discuss with professional firms providing RBAC services. The affordable, as well as, innovative technology can be installed by organizations of any size and strength.
Embrace technology and grow.