Road trips are a quintessential part of the American experience. From Route 66 to the Pacific Coast Highway, America has some of the most scenic routes in the world. With a diverse landscape and an endless list of attractions, there’s no better way to explore the beauty of America than by hitting the open road.
In this blog, we’ll take you on a journey through some of the top scenic routes in the USA, offer tips on planning your USA road trips, and provide insights on what to see and do along the way.
Top Scenic Routes in the USA:
The USA has a variety of scenic routes that attract tourists from all over the world. Here are some of the best scenic routes to explore:
- Route 66: Route 66 is one of the most famous and popular road trip routes in the USA. The route spans eight states and covers over 2,400 miles. The route offers breathtaking views of the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest National Park, and many other attractions along the way.
- Pacific Coast Highway: Pacific Coast Highway is a scenic drive that spans over 600 miles along the coast of California. The drive offers stunning views of the Pacific Ocean, the redwoods, and many charming towns and cities along the way.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: The Blue Ridge Parkway is a scenic drive that spans 469 miles through the Appalachian Mountains. The drive offers spectacular views of the mountains, valleys, and waterfalls.
- Great River Road: The Great River Road is a scenic route that follows the Mississippi River for 3,000 miles from Minnesota to Louisiana. The drive offers views of historic sites, quaint towns, and wildlife along the way.
Planning Your Road Trip:
Planning a road trip can be overwhelming, but with a little preparation, it can be a memorable adventure. Here are some tips on planning your USA road trips:
- Choose the Right Vehicle: The right vehicle can make all the difference in your road trip experience. Consider renting an RV or camper van for a more comfortable experience.
- Pack Essentials: Pack essential items such as water, snacks, a first-aid kit, and navigation tools. Also, don’t forget to bring a camera to capture all the beautiful views along the way.
- Create an Itinerary: Planning your route and stops along the way can help you make the most of your road trip. Research the attractions and activities in each area and plan your route accordingly.
- Budget for Your Trip: Road trips can be expensive, so make sure to budget for gas, food, accommodation, and activities. Look for budget-friendly options such as camping or staying in hostels.
What to See and Do Along the Way
There’s no shortage of things to see and do on a road trip in the USA. Here are some of the must-see attractions and activities along the top scenic routes:
- Grand Canyon National Park: One of the most iconic attractions on Route 66, the Grand Canyon offers breathtaking views of the natural wonder.
- Petrified Forest National Park: The park features stunning petrified wood and ancient fossils.
- Cadillac Ranch: This quirky attraction in Texas features a row of old Cadillacs buried nose-down in the ground.
Pacific Coast Highway:
- Big Sur: This rugged stretch of coastline features stunning views of the ocean and redwood forests.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Located in Monterey, the aquarium is home to over 35,000 animals and plants.
- Santa Barbara: This charming town offers beautiful beaches, Spanish-style architecture, and delicious food.
Blue Ridge Parkway:
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: This park features stunning views of the mountains and valleys and is home to diverse wildlife.
- Biltmore Estate: This grand estate in North Carolina is a must-visit for its stunning architecture and beautiful gardens.
- Linn Cove Viaduct: This engineering marvel offers stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Great River Road:
- National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium: Located in Dubuque, Iowa, the museum and aquarium offer a fascinating look at the wildlife and history of the Mississippi River.
- Gateway Arch: Located in St. Louis, Missouri, the arch is a symbol of westward expansion and offers stunning views of the city.
- Oak Alley Plantation: This historic plantation in Louisiana offers a glimpse into the history of the South and stunning views of the oak-lined driveway.
A road trip across America’s scenic routes is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. From the stunning views of the Grand Canyon to the charming towns of the Pacific Coast, there’s no shortage of beauty to explore. Planning your USA road trips ahead of time and budgeting for expenses can help you make the most of your trip. Don’t forget to bring a camera to capture all the memories along the way. Happy road-tripping!