All persons who have arrived into India after February 15, 2020 and all such persons who have been directed by health care personnel to remain under strict home / institutional quarantine for a period as decided by local health authorities, failing which they will be liable to legal action under Section 188 of the IPC.
All enforcing authorities to note that these strict restrictions fundamentally relate to movement of people, but not to that of essential goods.
Any person violating these containment measures will be liable to be proceeded against as per the provisions of Section 51- 60 of the Disaster Management Act 2005, besides, legal action under Section 188 of the IPC
The above containment measures remain in force in all parts of the country for a period of 21 days with effect from March 25.
Narendra Modi on Coronavirus Speech (24 March 2020)
On March 22, during the Janata Curfew resolution, every citizen contributed to it with sincerity. People of all ages and strata came together. Everyone made it successful.
- Through Janata Curfew, people of India showed that when India is faced with a problem, its people unite to fight the problem.
- You are seeing how this pandemic has made even the most developed nations helpless. It is not that they do not have the means to fight it, the challenge is that coronavirus is spreading at an exponential speed.
- The only prevention to this coronavirus is social distancing. There is no way to fight it otherwise.
- There is no other way to save ourselves from coronavirus but social distancing. If we want to be saved, the cycle has to be broken. Some people think that social distancing is only for those who have coronavirus. That’s not right, social distancing is for every citizen.
- Some people and their irresponsible behavior will endanger you and your family, friends and the nation.
- From midnight today, lockdown in the entire country will be enforced.
- I appeal to the people of India to stay where they are. Considering these circumstances, there will be a lockdown for 21 days.
- These 21 days are crucial. If we are not able to curtail this in 21 days, then the country will go back 21 days. Hence, forget moving out of your house for 21 days. The only thing that people have to do no onwards, is to stay at home.
- You must remember that initially, people who have been infected will not show symptoms in the first few days. Please maintain social distancing.
- I appeal to people to not venture out on roads at all.
- As per WHO, if one person is infected with coronavirus, it can infect hundreds others. Coronavirus is spreading like wildfire.
- It took 66 days for the number of infected cases to rise to 1 lakh. But, it tool only 11 days for the next one lakh cases to emerge. And, it took just four days for the third 1 lkh cases to appear. This indicates, the speed at which coronavirus is spreading.
- Many countries across the world, including France, Italy, Germany, Iran, etc. have not been able to curtail the spread of the disease despite having state-of-the-art health infrastructure.
- What is the ray of hope, one might ask. The ray of hope is coming from countries where the spread of COVID-19 has been curtailed by following government advisories a 100 percent and strictly observe social distancing.
- This is the time for patience and discipline. Till there is a lockdown, we need to adhere to our promise and resolve. I request you to pray for all those who are out risking themselves for your health and well-being. This includes doctors, health care professionals, police officers as well as media persons, who are working day and night, risking their lives in the times of a pandemic.
- The pandemic is particularly a testing time for the poor of this country.
- The Centre has allocated Rs 15,000 crore for people infected with COVID-19. This includes increasing the number of beds, testing kits, and even training of professionals to combat the disease.
- Do not fall prey to rumors and fake news. Please follow only advisories given by the government. I request you not to take medicine without a doctor’s prescription.
- In these 21 days, I request you to take care of yourself and your family members and fight this disease with self-confidence.
- I understand that 21 days is a long time, but it is crucial for your protection as well as your family members. I am confident that India will get through these testing times by strictly following government advisories.